Hopefully the start of 2013 will see a big advancement in the Chevrolet Spark's in car technology, as the integration ofApple's Siri makes an appearance. Siri is the intelligent assistant that helps get things done just by asking, Chevrolet announced this recently at the Los Angeles International Auto Show.
Chevrolet Spark and Apple Siri
Chevrolet Spark to include Apple's Siri Technology
Siri will function through the Chevrolet's standard MyLink infotainment system, customers with a compatible iPhone which includes the iPhone 4s and iPhone 5, running iOS 6 can direct Siri to perform a number of commands while they are able to keep their eyes on the road and their hands firmly on the steering wheel. To keep distraction at a minimum, Siri takes hands-free functionality even further with an Eyes Free mode. The Eyes Free mode enables users to interact with their iPhone using only their voice while keeping the iPhone's screen from lighting up and causing a distraction, especially at night.
Using Siri in your Chevrolet Spark
Owners simply pair their iPhone with the MyLink radio via Bluetooth, the steering wheel features a voice activation button to start and stop communication with Siri.
In the Chevrolet Spark, owners can use Siri in Eyes Free mode to:
- Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to Contacts on their iPhone
- Play songs stored in the iTunes library, and even switch music sources automatically from AM/FM radio to iPod mode
- Listen to, and compose/send an iMessage or text message to a phone number or anyone saved in Contacts
- Access Calendar and add/delete appointments
- Minimise distraction even more by keeping the screen on the iPhone from lighting up, even when Siri answers simple questions such as dates of national holidays
While the system is set to Eyes Free mode, Siri will not answer questions with answers that require viewing of the screen.
Chevrolet have said:
“It says a lot about our commitment to small-car customers that Chevrolet has announced that Siri Eyes Free capability will be available in the Spark well before the luxury brands,” said Cristi Landy, Chevrolet marketing director for small cars. “Safe, easy, reliable and portable connectivity is a top priority for our customers, and Siri complements MyLink’s existing capabilities to help deliver an incredible driving experience.”